Thursday, October 4, 2018

Alaska - Day Three - At Sea

Before I go on with our Monday journey, I wanted to add this picture from the night before of another cruise ship heading to Alaska. It was dusk and we were eating dinner in the fancy dining room. After dinner, Philip went to the floor show and I headed back to our room.  The air was chilly and my back was hurting. I propped myself up on several pillows and fell asleep. When Phil came back to the room, we watched TV for awhile and he fell asleep. There in our darkened room, I watched the TV channel that shows where the ship is travelling. I could see the front of the ship and the darkened sea that we were sailing in and what looked like a sky full of stars! I wanted so much to get up and go out on the deck to see the night sky. Knowing I was too tired and cold to go, I vowed to do it tomorrow night.




***********************************************

Monday morning, I woke up early and headed upstairs to get some breakfast. 
The ship was sailing faster. They had to travel from Seattle, Washington to Juneau, Alaska. We left Seattle at 4PM on the 9th and didn't get to Juneau until 2PM on the 11th. The faster speed of the ship made walking in a straight line more difficult. Once, when I almost careened into a fellow passenger, he said "It's like being drunk without drinking." 






The scenery was gorgeous. You cannot imagine how fresh the air was to breathe. It felt like, as you're breathing through your mouth or nose, that air is also entering your lungs through the skin of your chest. Just wonderfully fresh. The temperatures were between 50 and 70 degrees. At night it was a bit colder - around 40 degrees.  Philip and I walked around the ship and took in the views. At one point, Philip decided that he would get in the hot tub.  He's a brave soul.




The day passed on with the ship making it's way north. I remember at one point, walking down the main stairway, mid ship - which has automatic doors on several levels for folks to go out to the outside decks - and two women behind me on the stairs were talking. One lady said to the other "Ooh, where's that draft coming from?"  I thought "Uh, Alaska."
 After dinner, Philip again decided to go to the floor show and I wanted to go to our room. My back was still hurting like the dickens and I just could not get warm. This is why I advise folks who travel to bring some warm pajamas.  Philip and I were in a constant struggle with the thermostat in our cabin. Just a little heat and he was too hot! I was laying in bed and again watching the night sky on the TV. I got up, dressed as warm as I could and headed to the top deck to see the night sky. I got as far as the automatic door on the upper deck and could not do it. I was so cold. So I went back to our room/cabin.

**********************************

And Then This:

I was laying in bed, trying to find a comfortable position, when Philip came back from the floor show. I had taken some Ibuprofen but it had not even touched the pain I was feeling from my pulled muscle. I figured that with all the motion of the ship along with the constant vibrating ripple of the working engines, that I was just super sensitive. I knew that I would not be able to sleep. So as Philip and I sat there on the bed, watching TV, I asked him. "Is there a phone in our room?" He said "Yes, it's right here," pointing to his side of the bed. I asked if he would call and see if I could see a doctor? Without hesitation, he picked up the phone and made the call. They told him there was a doctor on duty but it would be cheaper to come by during daytime hours. I told him we need to go now. I knew I would not sleep and I hated that I was missing a fabulous trip and making it less than great for Philip too.
So we went to deck 4 to see the doctor.

No comments: