Thursday, February 2, 2012

And the fog set in.... Day 2



     As you may remember, I was talking yesterday about a cup of coffee (Fog Lifter) that my daughter made for me at 7PM  the night before.. That one cup of potent stuff, kept me up for 24 hours. I remember laying awake imagining that coffee bean tree or bush, deep in the mountains of South America .. or is it Africa? Those dark gnarly roots, draining energy from the earth that now surged through my veins.
     Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, the fog returned. It hit me as I came into Pendleton. Traffic everywhere and me driving through bleary vision. I yawned and couldn't stop yawning. I looked around in my car for something to distract me - to keep me awake. All I could find was a bag of Spring Mix salad fixings. I figured that eating would keep me awake. The problem was, my hands were dirty. I had noticed some trash laying in the street as I went to my car. I was carrying a bag of trash to toss too as the truck empties the dumpster between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
     I couldn't stand the thought of touching the lettuce with dirty - trash hands. As I maneuvered through traffic I tore open the bag of salad and stuck my face into the mix. I bit a mouth full of salad and pulled it out of the bag. That one mouth full was dragging with it the second mouth full. In an instant I pictured the goats we use to own; their mouths full of hay, munching and thinking about the next bite.
     And there's the timer - 15 minutes.

No comments: