Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning Stuff - Day 8



      Hello, sports fans! It's about 10 minutes before my cabinet store closes. The timer has started and soft music plays in the background. I am ready to write.
  This process of writing everyday for fifteen minutes is starting to teach me something. I think I use to know it but now appreciate it more than ever. That thing is how much writing depends on editing. A person would almost think that you just start writing what you are thinking.  Well, that maybe true for getting ideas jotted down but you have to go back and erase a little.
   Imagine writing a story as going on a journey. The thoughts flow out. You're moving down the wooded path. You drop a few descriptions of the things that are about you, maybe you even offer up some feelings you're having on this journey. It's all good until you go back and read "I was walking along the road, the one I started on in the first chapter, with the palm trees that have nothing to do with this story about the desert." Cumbersome. 
   My husband thinks I could dictate my writing into a tape recorder and just transcribe it later. Writing is a little more artful than that. Using a brain to choose words, helps with the process.  
    A quiet spot, a regular time, unhurriedness, mindfulness are some of the things I am encountering on this 30 day habit former. (There's the timer)
  I will add that part of the fifteen minutes was used up wrestling with this blogger program, so.... sorry.

No comments: