Friday, February 3, 2012

A Constant Blessing - Day 3


 I stopped by my daughter's house again last night after I got off from work. She was tired. I can understand it too. She has a newborn and an active three year old, so sleep is oftentimes elusive for her.
     As I was getting ready to leave, I asked if she would want me to bring the three year old home with me for the night. I have Friday's off so even if I got little sleep over night, it would be OK. She asked her daughter and we were good to go.
    The three year old immediately began packing her bag. After we got the essentials - tooth brush, Strawberry Shortcake toothpaste, underpants, pjs, movies, etc. She asked if we should bring her night light, which was a lamp sitting on her bedside table. "No" on the lamp. Kiddie sized toilet ring? "Ok, we'll bring that." Doll and several stuffed dogs to sleep with? "Ok". Then she started unplugging a DVD player to play her movies. "No, no, we have a player!"  Finally she grabbed a child sized broom from the hall closet - just in case there's cleaning to do. And of course she asked to take something with her of her mom's "to remember her by." My daughter hands her a clean pair of her (my daughter's) folded socks. We were finally ready.
    Then there comes the tearful goodbyes at the door and the long mournful walk from the house to the car. You'd of thought that I was taking her to the end of the world. Maybe to her, that's how it felt. Time without your mama is sort of like that.
   She was crying in the car on the way to my house. Real boohoos coming from the back seat. "Honey, would you rather stay home?"
   "No (long pause) I'm just a kid....a big kid ....  just a kid."
By the time we reached my house she was all calmed down and ready for adventure but not until she located her mom's folded socks and reminded her grandfather not to tease her.

No comments: